Leo Nickerson School has an effective behaviour improvement incentive program, True Colours, which encourages integrity, acceptance, and good citizenship through positive recognition. As students are observed by staff demonstrating good behaviour – represented by the colours of the rainbow, they receive positive affirmation for their good behaviour from office staff and other teachers as they submit their ballots. Draws are done daily on the morning announcements for small prizes and at our monthly assemblies to join the principal and assistant principal for a pizza lunch! The rainbow symbol is used throughout the school to reinforce the qualities this program engenders in the students:
C (red) – Cooperation / Coopération
O (orange) – Open-mindedness / Ouverture d’esprit
L (yellow) – Listening / L’écoute
O (green) – Organization / Organisation
U (indigo) – Understanding / Ultra sympathique
R (blue) – Respect and responsibility / Respect et responsablilité
S (violet) – Sharing and Caring / S’entraider
This incentive program theme is also reflected in the school song which students sing at every assembly.
The Roots of Empathy Program
All students in Grade 4 at Leo Nickerson Elementary School participate in the Roots of Empathy Program as part of their Health curriculum. This is a program for elementary school children that reduces aggression and fosters the development of empathy.
- to foster the development of empathy
- to develop emotional literacy
- to prepare students for responsible/responsive parenting
- to reduce levels of bullying, aggression and violence
- to increase knowledge of human development, learning, and infant safety
- a certified Roots of Empathy Instructor facilitates 27 classroom sessions during the school year, 9 of which include a neighbourhood infant and parent
- the instructor coaches the students to observe baby development
- each baby visit is designed to capitalize on the shared observations of the baby which serve as springboards to teach emotional knowledge and perspective taking
- the instructor delivers a specialized, age appropriate curriculum
- including topics such as emotional literacy, anti-bullying, infant safety, violence prevention, participatory democracy, temperament, and infant development.